Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, more and more people are being forced to perform remote work from home, causing strain on Wi-Fi routers and cable modems that werenâ€™t meant to be used 24/7. Especially now, it is imperative that you have a good internet connection to stay connected to your work and the world.
Some routers work best when used with certain internet providers. That is why this guide focuses on the best routers to use with Time Warner Cable.
The Best Routers for Time Warner Cable
In this buying guide, we will present you with 6 different routers, each serves a different purpose and is helpful in their own way, but choosing the wrong router for you may end up hindering your projects, so choose wisely.
We will be looking at several routers and comparing them by taking a look at their speed capabilities, their system requirements, and how they handle. So that you can use this as your guide to select the one that you need. Here is our collection of the best routers for Time Warner Cable.
This site is reader-supported and we earn commissions if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from our site. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
1. TP-Link TC-W7960
The TP-Link TC-W7960 is a two-in-one. It is both a cable modem and a router, thus eliminating your need for a cable modem and its monthly rental fee. The router can be used with cable internet plans up to 150 Mbps.
It can be used for Xfinity from Comcast, Spectrum (Including Charter Bright House Networks and of course Time Warner Cable), Cox, Suddenlink, Mediacom, and WOW.
Download capabilities go up to 343 Mbps and it uploads at up to 143 Mbps, but this might differ according to your internet plan. It also includes eight downstream and four upstream channels, which will keep your network from slowing down while you download files or stream movies.
The router also includes four Ethernet cable ports as well as one USB port, allowing you to directly plug into the router.
The router has an easy setup, but if you need more information, it is compatible with Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/2013/2008, OS X 10.4 or later via Ethernet Connection Only, UNIX and Linux.
- Weight – 1.7 pounds
- Product dimensions – 8.17 x 5.86 x 2.87 inches
- Ethernet ports – 4
- USB ports – 1
- Frequency Band Class – Dual Band
- Operating system – Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/2013/2008, OS X 10.4 or later (Ethernet Connection Only) UNIX and Linux
- Both a Cable modem and a router
- Eight downstream and four upstream channels
- Easy setup
- Wi-Fi’s speed can reach 300Mbps
- 2-year warranty and unlimited 24/7 technical support
- Canâ€™t connect landlines
- No battery back-up
- Wi-Fi is not as reliable as the wired connection
- Wireless connection may drop certain devices
- Wireless printing wonâ€™t work properly.
2. Motorola Model MB7621
The next router is the Motorola Model MB7621, which isnâ€™t exactly a router, but a cable modem which allows for a faster and more reliable connection when a wireless router is plugged in.
This product is certified by Comcast to work for service speeds up to 600 Mbps, while Cox and Charter Spectrum (Which includes Time Warner Cable) have certified it for up to 400 Mbps. Its single Gig Ethernet port can connect Wi-Fi routers, HD TVs, and computers.
It is ideal for larger families who want to work on the computer while others are busy playing video games or streaming movies online.
The Motorola Cable modem has an easy setup, with only a few connections needed, like a power cable, and the Ethernet connection that will connect it to your Wi-Fi router.
It also provides eight-channel downloads and four-channel uploads. When connected, this device will grant you a download speed of 343 Mbps.
- Weight – 1.1 ounces
- Product dimensions – 7.25 x 2.25 x 7.88 inches
- Ethernet ports – 1
- Fast and easy setup
- 343 Mbps download speed
- Certified by Comcast, Cox, and Charter Spectrum
- Eight-channel downloads and four-channel uploads
- Experienced Motorola customer support
- Does not have built-in wireless capabilities
- No telephone ports
- Periodically drops the connection
- Slows down Wi-Fi signals periodically
- Necessary to periodically reboot the modem
3. Asus Modem Router Combo
The Asus Modem/Router Combo is a combination of a Cable modem and a Router certified by Comcast, Xfinity, and Spectrum(which includes Time Warner Cable).
This product has unmatched performance with 32 download channels and 8 upload channels. Its numerous ports make it optimal for connecting homes together and makes it ideal for streaming and gaming in HD. Meaning that you can work while your family enjoys watching Netflix or playing video games in the living room.
Its data rate goes up to 1734 Mbps, making it one of the fastest on this list. While its multi-user MIMO technology, which improves Wi-Fi in multiple-device homes, covers over 500 ft, making it ideal for larger homes. It also means that you save money, since you wonâ€™t need to buy a range extender.
This device comes preconfigured with a unique network name and a specific password printed on the bottom of the router, making installation easier.
- Weight – 2.09 pounds
- Product dimensions – 7.4 x 2.36 x 11.81 inches
- Ethernet ports – 5
- USB ports – 2
- Comes pre configured, making it fast and easy to set up
- 1300 Mbps download speed
- Certified by Comcast, Xfinity, and Spectrum
- 32 channel downloads and 8 channel uploads
- Over 500ft coverage
- Can not be updated, youâ€™ll need to change the modem to a new one
- Unstable internet connection
- Sometimes wonâ€™t allow new devices to connect
- Guest Wi-Fi network wonâ€™t connect to the internet
- Need to reset modem every couple of days
4. NETGEAR CM700
The Netgear CM700 is a cable modem that does not have Wi-Fi capabilities. To get that, you need to buy a router and connect it directly to the Netgear CM700.
This one can support internet plans of up to 500Mbps and has 32 download and 8 upload channels.
Itâ€™s compatible with Xfinity from Comcast, Spectrum, Cox, and CableONE. It does have system requirements like Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 10, Vista, XP, 2000, macOS, or other operating systems running a TCP/IP network. Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher are also needed.
This device is the DOCSIS 3.0, meaning that it offers up to 32x faster download speeds than DOCSIS 2.0 while providing a memory of 8 MB NOR flash and 128 MB RAM.
- Weight – 1.4 pounds
- Product dimensions – 6.6 x 5.2 x 1.7 inches
- Ethernet ports – 1
- Supports service plans up to 500 Mbps
- 8 MB NOR flash and 128 MB RAM
- 32 downloads and 8 upload channels
- Easy to set up
- Reasonably priced
- Does not have Wi-Fi capabilities
- It is unreliable in maintaining the Wi-Fi connection
- Can not be used to stream HD shows
- Canâ€™t connect to phone lines
- Only a single Ethernet port
5. ARRIS SURFboard AC1750
The ARRIS Surfboard AC1750 is another combination of a cable modem and a router. It is compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, and Cablevision. This means that it works as a Wi-Fi router while, at the same time, connecting the internet to cable.
This helps you save money since you wonâ€™t have to rent two different devices from your cable providers.
This product has 8 download channels and 4 upload channels. With a download speed of 343 Mbps and a Wi-Fi speed of 1600 Mbps, this router is optimal for gaming and streaming your favorite shows. It also offers a 4-port Gigabit Ethernet Router for flexible, high-speed wired connectivity.
This ensures that you can download files from the internet while others in your home enjoy video games online or stream a movie from the internet.
This device uses Windows XP/7/8, OS X, UNIX, or Linux operating systems. For protection, it uses Wi-Fi security WEP/WPA/WPA2, a Firewall with DoS protection and intrusion prevention, DHCP, NAT, VPN endpoint, and VPN tunneling.
Unfortunately, it is impossible to configure the firewall, meaning that you will have to turn it on and off, negating the need for a firewall.
- Weight – 2 pounds
- Product dimensions – 11.75 x 4 x 10.5 inches
- Ethernet ports – 4
- Download speed of 343 Mbps
- 8 downloads and 4 upload channels
- Has a Wi-Fi speed of 1600 Mbps
- Has a connection for Landlines
- Easy setup
- Doesnâ€™t offer enough range
- Unreliable signal
- Drops the Wi-Fi easily
- Canâ€™t configure the firewall
- Automatically resets its settings
6. D-Link DOCSIS 3.0
This last router is not really a router but a cable modem that does not have Wi-Fi capabilities. To get that, you need to buy a router and connect it directly to the D-Link DOCSIS 3.0.
This cable modem has a maximum downstream speed of 30 Mbps (640QAM) / 43 Mbps (256QAM) / up to 320 Mbps through 8 channel bonding. It also provides a maximum upstream speed of 30 Mbps (TDMA) / 35 Mbps (SCDMA) / up to 160 Mbps1.
It is compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, and Cablevision, but it does require Cable Internet Service.
The DCM-301 is up to eight times faster than DOCSIS 2.0 cable modems, meaning it has a download speed of up to 343Mbps and upload speeds of up to 150Mbps.
- Weight – 8 ounces
- Product dimensions – 5.9 x 4.5 x 1.3 inches
- Ethernet ports – 1
- This Modem is mountable
- Easy to Set up
- Has download speeds of 343Mbps and upload speeds of 150Mbps
- Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more
- Useful for connection with all networking devices
- Does not have Wi-Fi capabilities
- Not Wireless
- Not to be used for gaming or streaming
- Has a bad power supply line
All the routers shown are great in their own way, some may help you in ways that the others canâ€™t. That is why we are here, to help you find the ideal router for Time Warner Cable while staying within your budget.
We presented the choices of routers, modems, and combos compatible with Time Warner Cable that could be best for your needs.
The best cable modem is, without a doubt, the Motorola Model MB7621, which is both easy to set up and can guarantee high internet coverage thanks to its 343 Mbps download speed and its 8 download and 4 upload channels. While not the best, it is the most reliable of the bunch.
The best router and cable modem duo of the bunch is the TP-Link TC-W7960, which again, isnâ€™t the most flashy, but it will help you get where you need to go. This is thanks to its 343 Mbps downloading capabilities and 143 Mbps upload speed. Not to mention its 2-year warranty and 24/7 tech support.
We hope that this buyer’s guide was helpful for finding the best router for Time Warner Cable so that you can properly create a home office, ensuring that you can continue working from home as long as it is needed.